When you are determined to continue driving and being independent for as long as possible, you need the right car insurance for you. There are a few things to consider, such as renewing your driver’s license and detecting certain medical conditions, but other than that, we want to help you continue to drive as normal with our 80s+ auto insurance.
Can I get car insurance over 80?
If you are good enough to drive, and are not affected by a medical condition that prevents you from driving safely, you can still get insurance, subject to our usual terms and conditions.
There is no maximum legal driving age in the UK, and we do not have a maximum driving age in our car insurance policies. With over 80 auto insurances, we’ll make sure you’re fully insured to drive, as long as you can do so safely.
Certain medical conditions will affect your eligibility to drive, which are listed in government site. If you are affected, you will need to tell both your insurance provider and the DVLA.
Not telling your insurance provider or the DVLA about a listed medical condition can invalidate your insurance, so you may face prosecution if you are involved in an accident while driving without insurance.
Why Choose Saga Car Insurance for Drivers Over 80?
Saga Standard, Saga Select, and Saga Plus policies have been designed with auto insurance for over 80 years in mind. Our policies offer several key benefits designed to particularly appeal to the most mature drivers:
With Saga Plus policies, you can:
- Plan your costs in advance with the flat rate for 3 years (if nothing changes. Terms and conditions apply).
- Get medical coverage of up to £1 million with Accident Healthcare.
- You can reach any UK destination or multiple destinations with an arranged taxi if your vehicle is so badly damaged in an accident in the UK that you cannot drive with Onward Taxi Travel.
- Protect yourself against lost or damaged keys with Key Protection, with up to £2,500 per claim and up to £50 for wear and tear. You will not have to pay a surplus and the no-claim discount will not be affected.
- Stay behind the wheel with confidence, with 4 hours of driver confidence training built into legal protection.
Features included in all of our policies mean you don’t have to worry if:
- You need to file a claim and want to protect your hard-earned no-claim discount – if you have four or more years of no-claim discount, we’ll protect it against two wrongful claims in a three-year period (optional in the Saga Standard).
- An uninsured driver crashed into your car, and the accident isn’t your fault – as long as you get the other car registration details.
- You’re on your way out because we offer EU cover for up to 90 days in any policy year (or unlimited in Saga Select and Saga Plus) with the same level of coverage as in the UK.
- You need a replacement vehicle after an accident in the UK while your vehicle is being repaired by an authorized repairer.
- Carry valuables in your car, we cover up to £400 on the Saga Standard and up to £1,000 on the Saga Select and Saga Plus.
Does car insurance go up after the age of 80?
Your personal claims history, mileage needs, and the car you drive and where you keep them will still be considered when you look at auto insurance quotes for over the 80s.
To keep insurance costs for cars over 80 at a reasonable level, consider the following when looking for car insurance for a driver over 80:
- Provide an accurate mileage estimate, as you may be traveling for fewer miles
- Consider the type of car you drive, with the goal of getting a car that falls into a lower insurance group
- Make sure your vehicle has the proper safety features
- Consider increasing your voluntary surplus if you can do so
Remember that cheap car insurance is not necessarily the best car insurance for those over their 80s. You should always make sure you get the right cover for your needs and check the policy details very carefully before purchasing.
What does auto insurance cover for over 80s?
The best auto insurance for over 80 years covers the same auto insurance policies for any other age group and varies based on how much coverage you need. Over 80s auto insurance comes in three different types:
Third Party – Covers damage to a third party, be it another vehicle, building or person, but does not cover the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle.
Third Party, Fire and Theft – Third party, plus cover for your car after fire or theft.
Comprehensive – Covers damage to your vehicle and any occupants, someone else’s vehicle and its occupants, property inside your vehicle, vandalism, and may give you a free car if your vehicle cannot be used due to an accident.
The legal minimum insurance you need to drive your car in the UK is third party, but many people find comprehensive coverage provides the most reassurance.
Saga offers three different levels of auto insurance coverage over the 80s, Saga Plus, Saga Select, and Saga Standard, each with the same great Saga service so you can choose the most appropriate policy for your needs and budget.
Learn more about the best 80+ year auto insurance for your needs
Is there a maximum age for car insurance?
While some providers will insure drivers with fixed ages and a maximum age of 80, Saga auto insurance policies do not have an age limit.
As long as you are good enough to drive and are not affected by anything Medical Conditions Listed DVLAWe will continue to provide you with auto insurance over 80’s, subject to our usual terms and conditions. And with no upper limits, we can offer car insurance for drivers aged 85 or over.
Can I insure an old car?
If you’re not alone, but your car has plenty of mileage around the clock, we can still offer auto insurance quotes for over 80 years on older cars.
But keep in mind that one way you can reduce the cost of auto insurance for over 80s is to carefully choose the type of car you drive. Choosing a vehicle included in a lower insurance group can lower costs, based on factors such as value, performance, safety and security.
Vehicles of 15 years or older with a market value of over £15,000 may be considered a Classic by HM Revenue and Customs, and while we do not offer a specific Classic Car policy at an agreed value, we do not have a vehicle age limit and may be Able to insure a classic car under the terms of our regular policy.
Will my health affect getting car insurance over the 80s?
If you are medically fit to drive, most health issues will not affect your eligibility for car insurance for more than 80 years. We usually don’t need to know about any health issue or medical condition, as long as the DVLA has not restricted or removed your license.
Should I inform the DVLA if I decide to stop driving?
There is no upper age limit for you to drive, but if your doctor advises you or decides it’s a good time to stop driving, you’ll need to: I say DVLA And send them your license.
If you are concerned about whether you are still fit to drive, you can speak to your GP. If you start to feel less confident on the road, you may consider taking a Driver Confidence course which will help you assess if it is time to stop driving.
Customers with statutory protections with us — included as standard with our Saga Plus cover level, or optional with other coverage levels — can access up to four hours of driver confidence training to help you get back on the road.
Who are Saga’s auto insurance policies?
Our policies are insured by many different insurance companies. We select these companies very carefully, making sure that they have the same high standards of quality and service as we do. If you have purchased a policy from us, you will see the name of the underwriter on your policy documents.
Get a quote for auto insurance over 80’s
#Car #insurance #years